One of my favorite summer salads, I always ask for it when I am visiting the folks back in Virginia. It easily fulfills my palate requirements, having sweet, sour, and herbal all sharing space equally. Low maintenance and keeping well for a few days, it gets more vinegar-y each day. It’s also a pleaser at parties and picnics – you can practically toss it all together on the way there!
MARINATED TOMATO SALAD serves 4-6
- 6 red plum/heirloom tomatoes, wedged and then halved (a mix of red and yellow is delish too)
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T tarragon vinegar (white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar, works too)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 T julienned fresh basil
Combine all ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Marinate in refrigerator for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
*This is a recipe inherited from my maternal grandmother, Doris. We aren’t sure where she got the recipe from or if she created it herself. If you know where it’s from, please let me know so I can appropriately credit it. Thanks!